Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sour Cream Biscuits

This weekend I was flipping through cookbooks and reading food blogs trying to find recipes for the leftover ingredients in my fridge. I really hate letting good ingredients go bad, so when I opened the fridge and found myself staring at half empty containers of sour cream and heavy cream I decided to make biscuits.

After a little bit of searching I found a biscuit recipe on http://www.chow.com/ that used both sour cream and heavy cream. Perfect for my leftover situation! Then I read a little more and realized it also used brown sugar. Never in my life had I seen brown sugar in a biscuit recipe, but I figured I'd try it anyway and see what happened. It turns out that brown sugar, sour cream, and cream can make for one fantastic biscuit! I was surprised by how good these were. A little tangy, a little sweet, and just a hint of salty.

Sour Cream Biscuits, adapted from www.chow.com

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), frozen
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons heavy cream

1. Heat oven to 375 F and arrange the rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps.
3. Using the large holes of a box grater, grate frozen butter into flour mixture and toss to coat. Smear in sour cream and heavy cream, and using your hands, knead until dough just comes together.
4. Divide into 8 biscuits. (Dough will be sticky. I rolled them into balls and pressed them down flat to mimic the shape of cut biscuits. The dough was a little shaggy to press out and cut.)
5. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment